November update: I've started naming names. Read more about Google's penalty here.
The Online Slang Dictionary is a dictionary of slang words, neologisms, idioms, aphorisms, jargon, informal speech, and figurative usages. It has been edited and maintained by Walter Rader () since its creation in December 1996.
Here are some of the things that make The Online Slang Dictionary unique.
- Started in 1996, we are the eldest slang dictionary on the web.
- A dictionary of only real slang, we're suitable for ESL students and native speakers looking to expand their vocabulary.
5,300 real-world citations from TV programs, movies, news publications, and other sources demonstrate usage and prove accuracy.
- (Citations have been removed due to Google's penalty against this site.)
- The website is a wiki: logged-in users can submit terms, add definitions to terms, and
edit existing definitions.
- New content appears on the website immediately, without requiring editor or community permission.
- We offer the most comprehensive free slang thesaurus on the web.
- The thesaurus is organized into hierarchical topics, letting you drill down for specific meanings, or take a step back for a broader perspective.
- Definitions are organized by part of speech, letting you quickly locate the desired meaning.
- SlangMaps show you where in the world you're more likely to hear each slang word.
- Usage voting lets users declare whether they use a word, no longer use a word, have heard the word but don't use it, or have never heard it.
- Usage votes are tabulated and displayed with each definition, letting you see at a glance whether a term is current our outdated; common or obscure.
- Vulgarity voting lets users vote on how vulgar each term is. Using a newly learned term no longer carries the risk of accidentally offending.
- The vulgarity votes comprise the largest-scale study of word offensiveness ever conducted. It opens the possibility for vulgarity analysis of text, such as this analysis of the Gutenberg Project corpus.
- If you have a strong stomach, be sure to check out the 100 most vulgar slang words.
- Unified search - accessible from every page - lets you search both the dictionary and thesaurus.
Contents of this page
- Send feedback to the editor
- Terms of Service
- How to link to The Online Slang Dictionary
Send feedback to the editor
Comments and constructive criticism are more than welcome. Let me know what improvements, features, and changes you would like to see and I'll try to implement them. You can contact me via e-mail at .
Terms of Service
Pretty much, don't be a jerk.
Don't spam the website. Don't harass anyone. Don't try to hack the website. Don't use the website for anything illegal. Don't use automated tools to access the website. The contents of the website is copyrighted by the website - don't use it outside of normal usage. Don't sign up for numerous accounts.
For the binding legalese, click here.
How to link to The Online Slang Dictionary
Thanks for your interest in linking to us!
To link to the dictionary in a web page or blog, insert
<a href="http://onlineslangdictionary.com/">The Online Slang Dictionary</a>
To link to the dictionary in a wiki such as Wikipedia, insert
[http://onlineslangdictionary.com/ The Online Slang Dictionary]
Some wikis use a different format for links, so be sure to check the documentation.
Bookmark, e-mail, or share The Online Slang Dictionary
Thanks to Retinafunk for his red pepper image, which is licensed CC-BY-SA.
Thanks to everyone who has submitted or edited definitions, or voted on terms. The Online Slang Dictionary wouldn't exist without you!