To resolve Google's penalty against this site (still active after 437 days) I've been forced to censor all 5,300 citations of slang use. With the penalty in place, there's just no way to compete on a level playing field with dictionaries that don't have citations. Guys: I'm sorry. – Walter (editor)
Browsing page 1 of new words for February 21, 1998
- the passenger seat in a vehicle. Origin: the American west (i.e. during the 1800s.) The "shotgun" was the person that sat next to the driver of a wagon with a shotgun, watching for trouble. When three or more people are to ride in a car, one of the non-drivers will often "call" shotgun, meaning that they get the privilege of riding in the passenger seat.
To travel as an armed guard next to a vehicle's driver. Latterly, chiefly in America is to travel in a car's front passenger seat.
I get shotgun!
I get to sit shotgun.
- See more words with the same meaning: vehicles (related to).
- to smoke marijuana by one person inhaling from the source and then blowing the smoke into someone else's mouth. They inhale it and the chain continues. The term can also apply to other forms of smoking (e.g. cigarettes) but this usage is more rare.
In Canada the procedure is such that the person puts the lit end of the joint into their mouth, and blows smoke backwards through the joint, thus producing a steady stream of dense smoke into the lungs of another.
- See more words with the same meaning: to smoke marijuana.
- to rapidly drink (usually a can of beer) by punching a hole in the side of the can near the bottom, putting one's mouth over the hole, then popping the top of the can. Often done with others in competition to see who can finish first.
Did you see Mark shotgun that Beast Light?
Citation from "Irregarding Steve", American Dad! (TV), Season 2 Episode 8 (2006) blacked out to resolve Google's penalty against this site.
- See more words with the same meaning: to drink alcohol.
- to claim anything, as in "calling shotgun."
I shotgun the last donut!
Shotgun NOT doing dishes tonight!
- See more words with the same meaning: to claim.
|+||Add a definition for this slang term|