Definition of fugazi
- Acronym: "Fouled Up, Got Ambushed, Zipped In" from Vietnam War era (may have started earlier), reputed to have originated with the British Military. Used by troops throughout south-east Asia.
" Revitalized with the public by the release of the first Wolf of Wall Street , trailer when Mark Hanna (played by Matthew McConaughey) explains to Jordan Belford (played by Leonardo DiCaprio) 26 seconds into the trailer - his thoughts on the forecasting of stock prices;
Mark Hanna: Nobody knows if a stock is gonna go up, down, sideways or in circles. You know what a fugayzi is?
Jordan Belford: No - Fugazi. It's a fake...
Mark Hanna: Fugayzi, Fugahzi, it's a wahzi, it's a woozie, it's a (whistles) fairy dust. "
- fake. Often used to describe fake jewelery.
Cubic Zirconia is a fugazi diamond.
- "fucked up". Military slang, from the Vietnam War. Allegedly an acronym for "fucked up, got ambushed, zipped in".
- See more words with the same meaning: bad, poor, sucks, common, generally displeasing.
- The word "Fugazi" popped up in the film Donnie Brasco with Al Pacino. "Don da Jeweler" gets approached privately by a real mafioso, Lefty Ruggiero (Al Pacino) who wanted to sell a hot diamond ring. After a quick inspection, Brasco pronounced it "a fugazi" - a counterfeit. After a bit of verbal sparring, the two men go to find the man who gave the ring to Lefty, relieving him of his Porsche in lieu of the fake diamond ring. From that point on, Donnie is in with Lefty, a troubled, lonely man who wants someone to follow in his footsteps. A similar theme was explored in the excellent crime drama The Mechanic.
|+||Add a definition for this slang term|
Slang terms with the same meaning
Other terms relating to 'bad, poor, sucks, common, generally displeasing':
|Definitions include: a system that was created by hacking it up over time.|
|Definitions include: of poor taste or style.|
|Definitions include: bad.|
|Definitions include: the noun senses of "crap" are mostly a subset of the uses of "shit."|
|Definitions include: displeasing; "uncool".|
|Definitions include: "brutal".|
|Definitions include: an instance of failure.|
|Definitions include: Most uses of "shit" also work with "crap", except where noted below.|
|Definitions include: run down or impoverished.|
|Definitions include: confused, ruined; "messed up".|
|Definitions include: stuff, things.|
|Definitions include: to masturbate, especially male masturbation.|
|Definitions include: "terrible" + "bad".|
|Definitions include: crazy.|
|Definitions include: terrible.|
Slang terms with the same root words
None. How about some random words?
|Definitions include: honest.|
|Definitions include: to vomit.|
|Definitions include: to reduce.|
|Definitions include: The vagina.|
|Definitions include: to defecate.|
|Definitions include: two bad occurrences in short succession.|
|Definitions include: money.|
|Definitions include: for lots of something to be one's responsibility.|
|Definitions include: to become extremely angry.|
|Definitions include: tired.|
|I use it||(65)|
|No longer use it||(5)|
|Heard it but never used it||(69)|
|Have never heard it||(28)|
Average of 94 votes: 33% (See the most vulgar words.)
Your vote: None (To vote, click the pepper. Vote how vulgar the word is – not how mean it is.)
To link to this term in a web page or blog, insert the following.
To link to this term in a wiki such as Wikipedia, insert the following.
Some wikis use a different format for links, so be sure to check the documentation.